We may sometimes think of healthcare as only concerning physical health. However, social, psychological, and behavioral challenges, which can be especially common for those in senior living communities, are important to address as soon as possible and should by no means be ignored.
WUK works with hundreds of behavioral health service providers. Using our vast network, we can find the best provider for you.
Consider these facts:
- As many as one in five older adults experience mental health concerns that are not a normal part of aging.
- Mental health is as important as physical health.
- Healthy older adults can continue to thrive, grow, and enjoy life!
- Mental health problems are a risk for older adults, regardless of history.
- Suicide is a risk among older adults, who have the highest suicide rate in the country.
- Older adults can be helped with the same success as younger people.
- Misdiagnosis and avoidance are common.
- Older adults have unique mental health care needs.
The following symptoms call for consultation with a health care professional:
- Sadness that has lasted longer than two weeks.
- Consistent worries about issues such as money, family, and health.
- Consistent trouble sleeping or concentrating.
- Frequent trouble remembering things or feeling confused in familiar places.
- Have more than one alcoholic drink a day or taking more medication than prescribed.
If you think you or a loved one might benefit from a mental health checkup, contact WUK for behavioral health and counseling resources.